Thursday, April 30, 2009

After the Ecstasy, the Laundry



This book title caught my eye one day in The Not So Ordinary Bookstore in Glorietta (have I got the name of the bookstore right) and it stuck for a while. The truth of it packed a punch.

The reason why it caught my fancy and my imagination is because I grew up in the province with a grandma's influence. I could well remember her reminding me to stop laughing in the middle of a very hearty laugh for fear that my extreme happiness will invite the wrath of the gods that be... she is always sure that trouble is just at the heels of that. Tears, she said, is sure to follow. For her, moderation is always, always the way to go. Now grown-up, I have caught myself many times telling the youngs ones of the very same, minus the gods angle.

But putting some much needed reality into it, there are so many aspects in our lives where that could probably ring true. As far as ecstasy and merriment goes, I am four-five months away from my wedding and that definitely goes to the top of my list of HAPPY-- ecstasy to a T.

This is something that's going to happen only once in a lifetime, something that cannot be repeated or turned back and in the light of all these, and in the height of this ecstacy, there is much danger of going overboard.

There is the photography and video. Venue, church, catering, flowers, bridal gowns, ento gowns, the list could go on and on. I have heard people attest to the need to present only the best food. There are those who swear to the importance of wearing the best gown. And those who say that music and mood lights (mood lights? tsk) are the very essence of what will make or break it.

I am all for it.
All for the best, yes, yes, yes.
And it is so easy to be caught in the flight of all these fancy.

Who doesn't want the best?
I am always tantalized by how a little stretch here and a little stretch there, going from package A to package B can be an easy arm's reach. Just a few more thousands; and since you've gone all the way to package B, why not go to a more renowned supplier since it's just a little stretch from that point on, and begin again in package A then again be tempted to go up to package B or elsewhere. But, that's only for one supplier....

So much, so many, all at the same time.
_______________________________________________________

Let me draw my line here....

Let me hear the wisdom again....

AFTER ECSTASY, THE LAUNDRY.

If I am not careful, this has the ramifications of a lifetime's worth of laundry.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karel! (Or is it Karen?) I enjoyed reading your entry. I do agree that moderation is definitely the best, yet I also find it difficult to moderate myself. That looks like an interesting book... did you buy it? =) I'm always on the lookout for a new book.

    Hope you don't mind that I added you to my blog list. =) Enjoy your preps. =)

    ReplyDelete